Location: Hybrid or Remote with possible periodic on-site attendance
Hiring Range: $55,000 to $60,000
Parachute is seeking a bilingual Communications Specialist, fluent in English and French, to join our Communications and Marketing team. Reporting to the Vice-President, Communications and Marketing, this individual will work on education and public relations initiatives related to Parachute’s injury prevention programs and public awareness campaigns, be fluent in English communications and be the lead communicator in French language for our national charity to create and edit content for the website and social media, as well as resources for injury prevention educators and specialists. The individual will be experienced in media relations, as well as translating research knowledge into content and resources suitable for the public, community partners and the media. The individual will be comfortable with being a spokesperson and presenter for Parachute in French, whether at events or with the media, and a key liaison between francophone stakeholders, partners, influencers and the Parachute team.
Parachute is Canada’s national charity dedicated to injury prevention. Our mission is to create a safer Canada by preventing serious and fatal injuries through evidence-based solutions that advocate and educate. Our vision: A Canada free of serious injuries, with Canadians living long lives to the fullest. For more information, visit parachute.ca.
Parachute aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas – an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected and that all voices are heard. All members of the Parachute community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
- Act as media spokesperson in French language and provide social media monitoring and posting in French.
- Working with the Vice-President, Communications & Marketing, set out campaign plans to engage French media in Canada and be the lead contact for Francophone journalists, driving media coverage.
- Monitor and track all media coverage for Parachute and its campaigns in both French and English.
- Be the French-language lead for engaging francophone social media influencers in Canada to support Parachute’s injury-prevention awareness campaigns
- Research, write and edit a wide variety of internal and external communications materials in French, evidence-based and correctly referenced.
- Provide ongoing communication related to programs and awareness / education campaigns via newsletter, web updates, social media posts, articles, presentations and other published material.
- Be the lead editor for the French-language pages of parachute.ca, updating the site on an ongoing basis to ensure the French pages match all updates made on the English pages.
- Compose and edit organizational literature and articles for internal and external use following best practices of knowledge translation.
- Manage projects, including developing work plans, monitoring deliverables and creating reports, scheduling, planning, organization, co-ordinating logistics, research and evaluation.
- Identify process improvements to ensure a consistent and effective service is provided.
- Understand the unique needs of each program and follow through to ensure they are met.
- Represent, participate and/or present at external events such as conferences, meetings, workshops and seminars.
- Contribute to fund development by providing research and information on program options and contribute to reports and status updates to funders.
- Serve as a facilitator to organize participation of groups of stakeholders, particularly those in Quebec and among French communities elsewhere in Canada, managing the communications between and among these groups.
- Perform all other duties as required.
- University degree in communications, public relations, media or related fields
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken, is essential
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills
- Three-to-five years of related experience
- Competency with media monitoring platforms and media report generation
- Skilled in social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Experience in web editing using WordPress CMS and familiar with accessibility principles and tools
- Experience in health communications is desirable
Parachute’s head office is in Toronto, a close walk from the Eglinton subway station. It has adopted a remote work policy and gives its staff the options to work from the office, from home, or a combination of the two.
Posting Date: November 28, 2022
Closing Date: December 12, 2022
How to apply: Apply directly online with your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates selected for an interview will be required provide a French-language communications portfolio for review and may be asked to complete an English-to-French translation test.